This is a list of 5 common complaints I keep hearing about DJs, followed by my solutions.
#5. "He said he was going to be in black formal wear. Then he shows up in a formal black T-shirt!"
You spend a lot of time and money making sure that your party or wedding reception is perfect. Most people want the event to be elegant in both presentation and appearance. Because of this I am particular about how I present myself and my company. Unless requested otherwise, I wear a formal black tuxedo, with bow tie and vest and I never bring any signs or banners to put on, or around my table.
#4 "My party started at 5pm. My DJ starts trucking his gear through my guests at 5:30!"
There is no excuse for being late! Since I meet with my clients and together create a written Event Outline, I know the exact timing for all events. When I'm booked for the entire party, I am set and ready to go 30 minutes before the contracted start time. You don't pay for this. It's just another way for me to be sure that everything is ready to go as you want it.
#3 "My Disc Jockey didn't show up!"
Again, there's is no excuse for this. Even if you manage get your money back, your event is ruined. This is why I only book one event per day and belong to the local chapter of the American Disc Jockey Association. Through this group I have backup in case of illness. Since 1986, I have never missed an event!
#2 "He got everyone's name wrong and then thought he was a stand-up comic!"
At our planning meeting, I make a list of everyone who is to be introduced and spell their names phonetically. I then double check at the event so that each person is happy. I also don't do stand up comedy.
#1 "He didn't play the music we wanted!"
This can happen when a company sends out an inexperienced DJ with a preset song list. He plays the list and ignores the crowd. This can also happen with experienced DJs who have a "show." They've developed a list of popular songs along with a specific delivery that they use at every event. Usually they will allow you to pick a few special songs.
I don't believe in cookie cutter events. I ask my clients to select the music that will be played from my extensive online song list. I can honestly say that more than 90% of the music at a typical party has been picked by the client with the other 10% being approved requests.